We know that we should drink about eight glasses of water a day, or about a litre and a half. But what about our dog? You see your pet drinking, but how much water is he actually ingesting? And last but not least – how can we be sure that our furry friend is well hydrated?
How to encourage your dog to drink more water?
Most dogs eagerly drink water when they’re thirsty, but if you want to encourage your furry friend to hydrate more, check some basics first. Make sure your four-legged friend always has a full bowl of clean water available. Furthermore:
• Change the animal’s water every day;
• Clean his water bowl daily to prevent bacteria and germs from accumulating on the bottom;
• Make sure the water in your pet’s bowl is clean – there are no hair, dust or other contaminants that would make it unattractive;
• Leave the bowl in a cool or shady place in your home, away from the sun. The animal is less likely to drink from a warm bowl.
Providing water when you’re on the go
If you’re going on a long walk, visiting a dog park or approaching, be sure to bring extra water with you. Even if your outing is relatively short, make sure your furry friend is well-hydrated.
How much water do dogs need?
While there is no one-size-fits-all answer, it is thought to be good for dogs to drink about 0.030 litres of water per kilogram of body weight. If the animal is active, it may need more. And just like humans, four-legged friends also need more water when they spend time outside.
During the warmer and hotter months, it is important to keep your dog well-hydrated at home or on the go. Among the signs of dehydration to watch for are:
• Excessive drooling
• Frantic search for drinking water
• Pale, dry and/or sticky gums
If you suspect your dog is dehydrated, try to give him small sips of water to help him rehydrate – don’t let him drink too quickly as this can cause vomiting.
If your pet’s symptoms do not improve or worsen, take him to the vet immediately.
Photo by Pixabay: https://www.pexels.com/photo/short-coated-black-and-brown-puppy-in-white-and-red-polka-dot-ceramic-mug-on-green-field- 39317/