Ukrainian archaeologists have probably made a sensational discovery.
In ancient Subotov, Cherkasy region, a crypt that belonged to hetman Bohdan Khmelnitsky was excavated under the Ilyinsky church, archaeological excavations are still continuing.
The organization “Great Lloh”, which initiated the search work, announced this on its website.
Members of the expedition, with the blessing of the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, Epiphanius, work in the family St. Elias Church-tomb, where in August 1657 the Cossack foreman buried the outstanding commander.
Candidate of Geological Sciences, Senior Researcher, Research Laboratory of Theoretical and Applied Geophysics, Institute of Geology, Kiev National University. Tarasa Shevchenko Ksenia Bondar noted that during the exploration in the Elias Church they used one of the most widespread and proven geophysical methods in world practice – the method of high-frequency electromagnetic sounding (GPR method).
So geophysicists at a depth of three meters found a three-dimensional image of an object similar to a crypt under the temple. If the assumption of scientists about the sensational find is confirmed, the secret of the burial of Bohdan Khmelnytsky, over which historians and archaeologists have been fighting for almost three hundred years, will be revealed.
By the way, in the metric it is written that to the right of the church near the middle column, closer to sunset, there is a crypt of Zinovy Bogdan Khmelnitsky and his son Timosh, littered with construction waste during the rebuilding of the church.
As the scientist notes, back in 1970, this very central part of the church was investigated by the famous Ukrainian archaeologist Roman Yura. In his diary, he noted the displacement of the foundation slab of one of the columns to the north. However, his expedition did not have enough literally a meter to reach the object, since at that time it was not possible to explore the underground space in such depth without destroying it.
Note that Bohdan Khmelnitsky died on July 27 (August 6, new style) in 1657 in Chigirin and on August 25 was buried on Saturday, in the Elias Church, which he himself built.
The exact burial site is unknown. According to one version, the hetman’s body was mutilated and destroyed after the capture of Subbotov in 1664 by the troops of the Polish gentry.
According to another version, he was transported not far from Subotov by Khmelnitsky’s comrade Lavrenty Kapusta.