UN spokesman Stéphane Dujarric told correspondents at the daily press briefing on Friday that this included mortar shells and damaged rockets.
Since the last cessation of hostilities between Lebanon and Israel in November 2024, the UN peacekeeping mission (UNIFIL) stepped up efforts to help the Lebanese Armed Forces combat unauthorized weapons and military infrastructure and expand state authority in the south.
Mr. Dujarric said UNIFIL continued to observe Israeli forces carrying out military activities in its area of operations, including mortar fire from south of the Blue Line of Separation.
“We emphasize once again that these acts of interference must stop,” he said.
The government of Beirut is the sole authority
Ambassadors on the Security Council reiterated their full support for UNIFIL, urging “all parties to take all measures to respect the safety and security” of peacekeepers and their premises.
They called on all parties to respect their commitments under the November 2024 cessation of hostilities agreement as well as their obligations under international humanitarian law, including the protection of civilians.
The Council urged the international community to “intensify its support” for the LAF so that it can fully deploy in the south.
According to a recent press release According to the UN human rights office, the army has recorded almost daily violations of the November ceasefire and Israeli forces have confirmed carrying out more than 500 airstrikes since then on what they claim are Hezbollah targets.
“Lives are being built” in the Central African Republic
The Central African Republic (CAR) stands at a crossroads and now is the time to transform fragile stability into lasting progress through joint humanitarian, development and peace efforts, the UN Secretary-General has said. Deputy relief coordinator after a visit to the country.
Joyce Msuya met with senior government officials, displaced families, community leaders and local stakeholders, calling those on the front lines of the crisis the backbone of aid efforts and those who maintain hope.
“Dedication in action”
“Everywhere I went in the Central African Republic, I saw dedication in action: communities leading, partners supporting, lives being built,” she said. job on social networks.
Msuya noted that although one in three people still need assistance, improved security in some areas has allowed displaced people to return home.
The deputy relief chief also announced an allocation of $8 million from CAR Humanitarian Fund for urgent priorities in the towns of Zemio and Birao.
“No level of lead is safe”: WHO
Lead is present in many everyday products, like paint and cosmetics, but that doesn’t make it safe.
The World Health Organization (WHO) posted an update on Friday before International Lead Poisoning Prevention Week which will take place October 19-25, affirming that lead exposure remains one of the most prevalent but preventable health threats in the world.
Children face the greatest threat
According to the WHO, the metal is associated with around 1.5 million deaths per year, mainly from cardiovascular diseases, and causes irreversible neurological and behavioral damage, particularly in children, who absorb lead more easily.
Although some progress has been made, including the banning of lead in gasoline and efforts by many countries to limit lead in paints, the WHO says comprehensive bans on the production, import, sale and use of lead-based paints must be implemented and strictly enforced.
“No level of lead is safe. Every child deserves a future free of this poison,” said Ruediger Krech, director of the agency’s environment, climate change and migration department.
“We call on governments, communities and health care providers to act decisively to eliminate lead exposure and protect the health and potential of the next generation,” he added.
Originally published at Almouwatin.com
