Substations, power plants and oil depots were damaged in Chernihiv, Kharkiv, Odessa and Donetsk, temporarily cutting power to hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses in these regions.
“As colder weather sets in, strikes on critical infrastructure are worsening humanitarian needs. » warned Mr. Dujarric. “Despite the growing challenges, we continue, with our humanitarian partners, to support the response. »
In the first half of this year, UN partners provided essential care to almost a million people, while food and livelihood programs supported more than 1.1 million displaced and vulnerable families in the country.
Ukraine: off-site power to be restored to nuclear power plant
Meanwhile, following intensive consultations with the Russian Federation, a process has begun to restore external electricity to the Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP) in Ukraine, the International Atomic Energy Agency said (IAEA) director Rafael Mariano Grossi announced Thursday in a update.
On September 23, the ZNPP lost connection for the 10th time since Russia’s large-scale invasion of the country began in February 2022. Both sides blamed military activities for the damage.
Since then, ZNPP has been forced to rely on backup diesel generators to power its cooling pumps, challenging an already dangerous nuclear safety and security situation at the site.
Following the incident, Mr Grossi engaged with both parties on concrete proposals to enable the plant to receive the off-site energy needed to cool its six shutdown reactors and spent fuel.
“Although it will still be some time before the grid connection of the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant is restored, both sides have engaged with us constructively to achieve this important goal in the interests of nuclear safety and security,” he said. “No one stands to gain from further deterioration in this regard. »
The IAEA team on site continues to confirm that there has been no increase in temperature in the reactor coolant or spent fuel pools.
Syrian migrants in Libya begin their journey back to Syria.
First voluntary humanitarian return flight for Syrian migrants in Libya
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) facilitated the voluntary return of 152 vulnerable Syrians from Libya to Damascus.
“IOM is expanding its operations and services in Syria with the primary objective of supporting the country’s recovery after years of conflict and ensuring a dignified and sustainable return of Syrians, whether internally displaced or returning from abroad. » said Othman Belbeisi, regional office director for the Middle East and North Africa.
Marking the first Voluntary Humanitarian Return (VHR) flight to Syria organized by IOM in 2025, the Tripoli-Damascus flight was organized at the request of the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and helped support families who had been living in Libya for more than a decade.
Strengthened presence
Since 2015, IOM Libya has helped more than 105,000 migrants return safely to their countries of origin.
“This flight demonstrates IOM’s continued commitment to voluntary, safe, dignified and sustainable returns of the most vulnerable Syrian migrants,” said Eleonora Servino, the agency’s acting head of mission in Syria.
In July, IOM received approval from the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to re-establish its presence in Damascus and expand its operations nationally.
Active in northwest Syria since 2014, IOM continues to provide vital assistance and support programs, including displacement monitoring, protection, mental health and psychological support (MHPSS), shelter and relief.
Originally published at Almouwatin.com
